A Month Of Herbs
My Mother was a Herbalist
Who lived to ninety five
And with her pills and potions
She kept us all alive!
She boiled her herbs - in a big black pot
She had a big black Cat
Some say she flew on a Broomstick
But we won't go into that!
January was DANDELION
Whose juice could cleanse our biles
February YELLOW CELENDINE
Was brewed for Granddads piles!
March brings out the PRIMROSES
A cure for your rheumatics
April sees the STICKWORT bloom
For wheezers and asthmatics!
May brings all the BLUEBELLS
Whose roots are used for starch
June grows the scented MEADOWSWEET
Whose mead your thirst will parch!
July the bold PETUNIA
With Heinz cures fifty-seven
August brings purple KNAPWEED
Which makes you feel like Heaven!
September blooms the FEVERFEW
A cure for any fever
October's YARROW's good for you
You'll all sing like a Diva!
November comes the LEMON GRASS
Gives out a fine aroma
December juice from MIStLETOE
Will cure your worst hangover!
Aloe Vera - Silver Sage and Golden Golden Rod
Gingo - Evening Primrose and Periwinkle too
Boil them up they'll cure your bod
A real Old Witches brew!
From New Years Day to Christmas Eve
We never had a fear
A dose of Mother's remedies
Would wipe each tear!
Dedicated to all our Mother's who knew all natures secrets and were even prepared to share a few with us!
John Knight's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Month Of Herbs by John Knight )
- Dear self., sadgirl98 noo
- To my dad., sadgirl98 noo
- Solace in Solitude, Donald R Charon
- On Being Governed, Donald R Charon
- All are mine, gajanan mishra
- Our Air, Foster Teegarden
- I wear a sweater now, The Princess
- Morning Triku V, Steve Kittell
- To My Love, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Scrutinized As Being Abusive, Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)