A POPPY SEASON
She is a Welcome Home
A room full of people.
She is an egg neatly broken
A Roulade sweetly rolled.
She is a lost recipe
She is her mother
At her mothers knee.
She is the Deb with the frizzy hair.
She is first to cry
And first to laugh.
She is the woman from the Meals on Wheels
She is a wet dog in a blanket
A long walk by the waters edge.
She is a silver rosary
A Hail Queen of Heaven.
She is a missal of memorial cards
A future firmly rooted in the past
In Birth, in Life, in Death,
She is unafraid
She is the mother of two sons, and a husband
She is Mam, but never Mummy
She is busy when there is no need
Is tired too often
She is the strong stem
She is a Poppy in a window
Martin Swords's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A POPPY SEASON by Martin Swords )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 September 1880 – 25 June 1958)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Poetry Heaven, Kim Barney
- Thank You My Love, Margaret Alice Second
- My Dream, Michael P. McParland
- joshua trees hopping in the trunk of the.., Mandolyn ...
- my lovely lovely wife, Rasheed Alqahas
- Four Leaf Clover, Eve White
- Eric Gone Postal, Eve White
- Half-Breed or Racist, Eve White
- (Rock ballad) Hold on and letting go, Putri Misnia Shary Bahri (Sh ..
- Road Kill, Liilia Talts Morrison