a seed grows without
you plant the seed, deep but not
too deep, water it enough, but
not too much, sit back and watch
the word alive take root, become.
the presumption is that without
can not last forever, the presumption
is that one word must lead to the next.
the progression, the life, the blood.
you make sure the seed has sun, but
not too much sun, shade but not too
much shade, the balancing act, the
way you pull the hat low over eyes.
the explanation is the want of
everything to a certain point, want
of nothing to a certain point. until
you have it. the irony, the cold. the
way the weeds grow tall without
anyone, how life goes on without
you, are poking holes in dirt, testing
the density, checking the water, look-
ing for stones, you are realizing you
were too careful with it all. you be-
came a fossil, buried too deep, down
too dry, too dark, you have practiced
yourself away. there is rain coming in,
you are watering seeds anyway, as if
to say, hurry
break out, break out,
I have not spoken in three days,
and need to.
Ben Paynter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (a seed grows without by Ben Paynter )
- Cycling in Flanders 2, Stratis Havarti
- A study in what not to do, Christopher Withers
- Critical Thinking, Nassy Fesharaki
- LIKE AN ASTEROID, Satish Verma
- Stay as unit, hasmukh amathalal
- I shall change, hasmukh amathalal
- Egg, Olufayo Ezekiel
- The grass, gajanan mishra
- But we are one, gajanan mishra
- You are my sweet lovely heart, Mazid S Kazi , INDIA