A Spiritual Encounter
He became acquainted
with the spirit
at an after-party;
the disc jockey changed
the pace from hardcore
reggae to ballads.
He strolled to the bar,
not for a drink, but to sit
and rest his feet.
He was dancing all night,
pretty much, and the platform
shoes were tight at the heels.
Not wanting to seem
out of place, he ordered
he never even knew what it was.
A connoisseur made a request;
and he said 'I will have the same'.
Dangling his feet,
to the beat,
he began to sip.
he asked the damsel,
in black/white spike heels
and tight sequin skirt,
for a dance.
he placed the glass
on the counter
and headed for
the dance floor.
The day after,
the taste was still
in his mouth;
and he liked it.
Buxton Shippy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Spiritual Encounter by Buxton Shippy )
- A trip to rotgut, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A recipe for a poem, Harold R Hunt Sr
- America will be back, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I will not be taken down., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Will the crowd cheer, Harold R Hunt Sr
- waiting, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Help, help! !, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Don't cry, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Put your boots on, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Two Cats, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stars, Joyce Kilmer
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns