A Stormy Winter Night
The storm outside is fierce
as if the clouds have broken,
and the shutters of the house are closed
to keep out the cold and the wet weather.
The electricity is off and the house is dark
while on the table an old lamp burns dim
and on the gas stove water is boiling
when two hands meet.
'Listen to the rain, my darling,
as it falls on the tin roof.
Do you hear the roaring thunder
And do you see the flashes of the lightning
that lights up the night sky? '
In fright the cat jumps onto the couch,
the house smells of cinnamon and pine cones
from the burning fire
that heats up the room
while outside the wind howls
and the shutters slam against the window
as if somebody is knocking
to come in from the cold wet night.
Under the hot blanket we drink Milo
and I know within my heart
that I do truly love you
and the rain pours down on the tin roof
as if in answer to the call of my heart.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Stormy Winter Night by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Colors Of The Rainbow, Anthony Daniels
- Hiccup, binod bastola
- Life and death..how we come and how we g.., krishnakumar chandrasekar nair
- You need me, gajanan mishra
- Infractions Rained Down Tears, mary douglas
- poetic shenanigans, lee fones
- Homecoming, prasenjit banerjee
- She knows now, hasmukh amathalal
- I am on the top, gajanan mishra
- Invocation, Hans Raj Sharma