A Synopsis of the Six O'clock News
No wonder so many people do not watch the news
A mother stabbed her toddler this morning to death,
Afterwards, she committed suicide, and left
Behind a dead fetus, behind her front door.
A 23 year old man stabbed and killed his mother.
He cut the body in several parts, which he put in black bags,
With his cellular phone, he took pictures of the cadaver,
He intended to dump the body parts in several trash cans.
A pregnant woman got shot in the stomach by an intruder,
Who, cowardly, fled. The police are searching for this loser.
A kindergartener was killed this morning, while crossing the street,
In the absence of the crossing guard, who went to the bathroom.
For crying out loud, what is going on, in the neck of the hood?
There is madness out there, too much violence in the city,
And too many sick people are roaming the streets. Our society
Is too violent, crime is too rampant, and our neighborhood
Is infested with too many criminals. There is too much racism,
Too many murders, too many rapes, and too much sexism.
What's happening in our cities? What's going in our streets,
In our schools, in our lives, and in our families?
Many schools are shutting their doors; many churches are sealing their windows.
For crying out loud, what the heck is going on? Who knows? Who knows?
Who can come up with acceptable and reasonable answers?
Where are the geniuses, and the problem solvers?
There are more reruns, repeats, sports, weather, and news,
At the eleven o'clock reviews...
Tonight, there is a state of emergency; we are subjected to night time curfews.
Hebert Logerie's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Synopsis of the Six O'clock News by Hebert Logerie )
- Brother John, Colin Ian Jeffery
- पयादे से मात, Aftab Alam
- My birthday song 2, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- The Saffron Drape, Aftab Alam
- My birthday song, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Highway of Holiness, Terrance Tracy
- Hey Big Guy, My Kindred Soul, Noah Body
- COPLA 112 RESOLUTION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- is happening the Is, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- What you will get, Emmanuel George Cefai
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(20 September 1902 – 7 March 1971)
(1886 - 1967)
(23 July 1823 - 26 November 1896)
(26 November 1731 – 25 April 1800)