A Visit to Mom and Dad's House
Hi Mom and Dad;
I stopped by your house today; it has been a long time that I have been away.
I walked past the iron gates of sorrows, dreaming of the countless tomorrows, stepped past the neighbors standing stone silent, past the flames that burn in the night right to the angel wings frozen in flight.
I clipped the grass and tended the flowers, lost in the past I lingered for hours. This visit I brought my daughter, you would have loved her had you known her. She has your eyes, and caring heart. The time has come for us to depart, fear not mother and father though we depart we are never parted.
The neighbors stare their stony stares as we turn to leave down the twisting path we bob and weave. Back to the iron gate of sorrow I shall return tomorrow.
One day I will return, this time to stay. Till then dear mother and father rest do not bother, for I will come and tend the lawn, weed and straighten the flowers, Some days to linger long and wile away the hours.
So rest dear mother, and dear father I shall not falter. Have no fear your house is protected and I am near. Through winter storms and summer heat I shall stand guard and not feel defeat. Rake the earth and tend the stone for a thousand years you will not be alone
Jim Milks's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Visit to Mom and Dad's House by Jim Milks )
- Vieze oren, Schone ogen, Madrason writer
- The Purple Lady., Achill Ladd
- My World, Douglas ClearyMaxwell
- Just Write It, Mark R. Elias
- A PHOTOGRAPH OF MYSELF AT AGE TEN, TAKEN.., NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Dainty Little Poem, Mark R. Elias
- 1959, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- TRANSIENT, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- எப்பொழுதும்!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Peddle Witches, Lilly Emery
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(c. 600 BCE)