Agape (Sacrificial love)
'You can still go my love', You said to me,
'I will not hold you back but set you free
for my love for you is so great you see
that I can let you go to see Sammy.'
On your bed in hospital there that day
the darling of my heart in illness lay.
You were willing to make loves sacrifice
and let me go no matter what the price.
This sacrifice was undeserved by me
and in Ghana I find myself to be.
Spending time with dear Sammy and Gifty
meeting all their loved ones and family.
I have done it now, a great time I've spent
enjoyed and savored every blessèd moment.
Sharing and celebrating with them so
but that time is over and home I go.
Rejoicing now as I anticipate
returning to my wonderful soul mate.
My darling, lovely, and gorgeous wife
was willing to let me out of her life.
But Friday cannot come too soon for me
when once more back and with you I will be.
I love you more than you can ever know
and thank you so much for letting me go.
I missed you so much when I went away
and kept thinking of you every day.
It's so good that I am now back with you
sharing in all things as we always do.
In Ghana it did not quite feel the same
though I reached out to others in Christ's name.
I missed you my love and want you to know
that I am so glad that you let me go.
Revealing the love of God to me then
that 'agape' love that comes from heaven.
Because you walk so close to God each day
you could let me go my separate way.
Such love is very precious and so rare
and pleases Jesus so much that you care.
For in your selfless love for Him my dear
you could let me go and stay at home here.
Royston Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Agape (Sacrificial love) by Royston Allen )
- Similar yet different, Nassy Fesharaki
- Early To Bed, Michael McParland
- Burnt Offerings, John Tansey
- On the Day Isaac Lay Upon the Rock, Guillermo Veloso
- 567, Mandolyn ...
- A Painful Extraction, Greg Costello
- Never Conquering Friendship, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- At shoes' stores, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Hindsight Can Not Be Blinded, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- It's impossible, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Heather Burns