Someday there will be all-fire,
Fire enveloping everything;
And also someday there
Will be a consuming chill,
A chill way beyond a sting.
You and I cannot experience
This polarity of fire and ice,
Having reached the Fourth Universe,
Having lived more than twice.
Will we become gods or goldfish, Peering out of the curved bowl, Unable to fathom what we see?
Even gods can lose their reality.
In any case: a gentleman's agreement.
We shall both turn off the TV,
Cease arguing politics and theology,
Waiting for the fire in our life to vent.
'Peace on Earth' is no acrimony;
Just as Stonehenge is constantly a mystery,
Yet all the time in stature stonily.
Stan Petrovich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Agreement by Stan Petrovich )
- Life's a Ball, Alice Cordy
- 'Did I ever Exist? ', Ananta Madhavan
- Keep safe, hasmukh amathalal
- Sunshine, Hanh Chau
- The Power Of Prayer, Tom Zart
- Mini Pool Tournament, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Tonight And Every Night, Michael McParland
- Ongoing Mental De-Evolution, michael walkerjohn
- Crossroads Of Destiny, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Spaces Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1927)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)