All Professours Shall Not Be Inheritors Of Christes Kingdome (But True Beleeuers Onely.)
Though Christ his merits be of power,
To saue mankind from Hell,
And Adams heyres for to restore,
With him in ioyes to dwell.
But few yet (in comparison,)
Reape benefit thereby,
The want thereof (not in Gods Son)
But in themselues doth lye.
For (if all persons could beleeue,)
Then all should saued be,
For Christ to such his grace doth giue,
From Hell to set them free.
Striue then to shew the true effect,
And fruits of liuely faith,
Else Christ (as dead) wil thee reiect,
(As holy Scripture saith.)
For why? The gate is very straite,
That leadeth vnto blisse,
And few do enter in there at,
So hard to find it is.
Dost thou beleeue within thine hart,
Christ dyed for thy sin?
Then from the same thou must depart,
And come no more therein.
Dost thou beleeue Christ rose againe,
Thy freedome to restore?
Then must thou holinesse retaine,
To please him euermore.
The ioyes of Heauen they do belong,
(To onely such indeede,)
VVho do refraine from doing wrong,
And follow right with speede.
But if thou dost delight in sinne,
And after it still range,
So that thou wilt not once beginne,
Thy wicked waies to change.
It is most true, (as thou shalt find)
Thy faith is dead and vaine,
And fearefull woes shall vex thy mind,
In euerlasting paine.
Oh then, whilst God doth grant thee space,
Cry hard both day and night,
That he will giue to thee his grace,
To lead thy life vpright.
Then shall thy workes, thy faith approue,
To be aliue and sound,
Then art thou deere to God aboue,
And shalt (in Christ) be crownd.
Henry Arthington's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (All Professours Shall Not Be Inheritors Of Christes Kingdome (But True Beleeuers Onely.) by Henry Arthington )
- Our India is the best country of the who.., Mazid S Kazi , INDIA
- Silent Page, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- This is human race, Aftab Alam
- God Bless The Teacher, Enoch Gyamfi
- Hunger, Kyle Schlicher
- Love don't have no name on it!, Shirley Morgan
- There Was A Time, Kyle Schlicher
- No Such Thing As Handicapped, louis rams
- Here I Am, Kyle Schlicher
- Destroy hunger, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Men, Maya Angelou
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)