All Professours Shall Not Be Inheritors Of Christes Kingdome (But True Beleeuers Onely.)
Though Christ his merits be of power,
To saue mankind from Hell,
And Adams heyres for to restore,
With him in ioyes to dwell.
But few yet (in comparison,)
Reape benefit thereby,
The want thereof (not in Gods Son)
But in themselues doth lye.
For (if all persons could beleeue,)
Then all should saued be,
For Christ to such his grace doth giue,
From Hell to set them free.
Striue then to shew the true effect,
And fruits of liuely faith,
Else Christ (as dead) wil thee reiect,
(As holy Scripture saith.)
For why? The gate is very straite,
That leadeth vnto blisse,
And few do enter in there at,
So hard to find it is.
Dost thou beleeue within thine hart,
Christ dyed for thy sin?
Then from the same thou must depart,
And come no more therein.
Dost thou beleeue Christ rose againe,
Thy freedome to restore?
Then must thou holinesse retaine,
To please him euermore.
The ioyes of Heauen they do belong,
(To onely such indeede,)
VVho do refraine from doing wrong,
And follow right with speede.
But if thou dost delight in sinne,
And after it still range,
So that thou wilt not once beginne,
Thy wicked waies to change.
It is most true, (as thou shalt find)
Thy faith is dead and vaine,
And fearefull woes shall vex thy mind,
In euerlasting paine.
Oh then, whilst God doth grant thee space,
Cry hard both day and night,
That he will giue to thee his grace,
To lead thy life vpright.
Then shall thy workes, thy faith approue,
To be aliue and sound,
Then art thou deere to God aboue,
And shalt (in Christ) be crownd.
Henry Arthington's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (All Professours Shall Not Be Inheritors Of Christes Kingdome (But True Beleeuers Onely.) by Henry Arthington )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- A Cloud In Trousers - part I, Vladimir Vladimirovich Mayak ..
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- So Let Us Love, Edmund Spenser
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies
- Shrouded, Jessica Paige Davies
- I Live, Tanja Henderson