Three years tonight since alone I sat
By a new-made grave all desolate
With the night dews o'er me falling ;
And I cried in my grief, 'Oh God !-My God !
What can it avail that beneath this sod
My babe lies deaf to my calling.'
The watchman cried on his round, 'All's well !'
But my heart at his mocking did beat and swell
With dread of a childless morrow,
But to-night he again is on his round
And his words to me have a sooth'ng sound,
For the years have brought me sorrow.
And have tanght me much 'twas hard to know
And made me reap where I did not sow,
And along strange paths have brought me.
They have shown me, too, in their painful round
That my girl is safe in the silent ground,
And this, too, faith hath taught me,
That I'll see her again in a radiant throng
Unsoiled by sin, unseared by wrong,
Amen! to the watchman's cry to-night
My heart re-echoes ' All's well : all's right.'
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (All's Well by Louisa Lawson )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- True Love, Michael P. McParland
- Solitudinarian, hafiz qasim
- The Secret, Hazel Durham
- MG CLUB, lee fones
- True Beauty, Michael P. McParland
- Coma, Fabrizio Frosini
- Tribute To The Pet Shop Boys, Michael P. McParland
- Tribute To Freddie Mercury, Michael P. McParland
- Hail! The Coming Year, Anthony Di'anno
- Treat, Michael P. McParland