Like refugees, they ran off empty handed,
forsaking heirloom china, cutlery,
leaving behind their hands, their tongues and teeth.
The dead eat only our intentions.
Still we heat the oven, flour our hands.
Into foods they used to crave
we melt too much butter.
We gladly burn our fingers on the skillet.
Hungry? The dead are nothing but hunger
For our sake, they swarm like bees
to sugar skulls and scattered marigolds,
mezcal bottles, glossy loaves of bread,
their own best photos framed in gold,
their graves tidied of weeds. Lured by the lauds
we offer for their safe arrival,
the dead are not Catrinas
gussied in tophats and feathered boas
pipecleaner fingers bent to hold
the stems of red roses,
but they forgive such insults. The dead
draw near us but can only get so close,
like dogs in winter pressed for warmth
to the wrong side of the wall.
April Lindner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (All Souls by April Lindner )
- for a friend who had gone cold one summer, RIC S. BASTASA
- a journey away from words, RIC S. BASTASA
- the iron cables laid to sea, RIC S. BASTASA
- Finding her, Akhil Zoomin
- great respect for what should not be sp.., RIC S. BASTASA
- for life is life and it is never yours, RIC S. BASTASA
- o! Grief!, RIC S. BASTASA
- Sleep Tight Dear One, Michael McParland
- Wicked Intentions, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Last words, Akhil Zoomin
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Indira Renganathan
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)