Are We Falling Short?
A provincial premier should be appointed prime minister each year,
Because we don't vote for our prime minister by name right here,
We vote for someone in his party and sometimes we're not sure,
Because the party system can sometimes be very obscure.
Or in order to elect a prime minister, we should see his name,
On a special ballot because this is a serious game,
And the religion-like party system should be rearranged,
For individuals - not parties - and not considered strange.
I realize of course that this idea will be shot down,
Appointed high aristocrats want to keep their dressing gowns,
Proportional representation and binding referendums please,
Because the way things are now; it's the parties they appease.
They say that the Senate is a place of sober second thought,
Where unknown establishment appointees are never distraught,
Did I mention we need an elected Senate and High Court?
Because under our present system we seem to fall short.
James Bredin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Are We Falling Short? by James Bredin )
- THE DAY WE HOPE TO APPEAR HANDSOME, Dominic George
- CALAMITY WITH THE MALE CONCUBINE (fiction), Dominic George
- IN THE REALM OF A BEGINNER'S SOUL, Dominic George
- UGLY?, Dominic George
- KILL THE DESIRES OF THE FLESH, Dominic George
- WE DUMPSTER HIM DAMNED, Dominic George
- Mess, Tiku akp
- THE FORGOTTEN PARENT, Dominic George
- Our life is full of a lot of thorns anyt.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A CHRISTIAN'S COLUMN, Dominic George
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)