Are We Falling Short?
A provincial premier should be appointed prime minister each year,
Because we don't vote for our prime minister by name right here,
We vote for someone in his party and sometimes we're not sure,
Because the party system can sometimes be very obscure.
Or in order to elect a prime minister, we should see his name,
On a special ballot because this is a serious game,
And the religion-like party system should be rearranged,
For individuals - not parties - and not considered strange.
I realize of course that this idea will be shot down,
Appointed high aristocrats want to keep their dressing gowns,
Proportional representation and binding referendums please,
Because the way things are now; it's the parties they appease.
They say that the Senate is a place of sober second thought,
Where unknown establishment appointees are never distraught,
Did I mention we need an elected Senate and High Court?
Because under our present system we seem to fall short.
James Bredin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Are We Falling Short? by James Bredin )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
David Herbert Lawrence
(11 September 1885 – 2 March 1930)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies
- Shrouded, Jessica Paige Davies
- I Live, Tanja Henderson