art surrounds me i surmise
is sculptor tactful poet wise?
is beauty calculated far?
is mortal touching distant star?
where is this sense of what is grand?
is genius accident or planned?
this calculus geometry
this mesmerizing panoply
of human unfolding imperfection
in object, truth a near detection?
in contemplation of this life
the seeds in heart of buried strife?
in complacency a dullness born
in consistency I am forlorn?
a quiet sadness hovers near
in habit formed a crystal tear?
that we are never satisfied
our spirit lost our fervor died?
this mixture of the bittersweet
creates an awesome fiery heat
that drives us to the pen to wrestle
to find our dreams wherein they nestle
and keys that calm the raging storms
in many styles and shapes and forms
we study what we’re yet to know
we sense another’s urgent glow
then find it quite within our manner
to sing the song to raise the banner
to say what ne’er was said so well
to sketch the line ‘tween heaven and hell
to find our heart to share our dream
to give it shine to make it gleam
we seek in art our hopes of love
we send on wings this lonely dove
to fly above our barren land
our heart’s own life to speak to stand
to say to others it’s just my best
before my heart and soul can rest
Tom Courtney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Art? by Tom Courtney )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- Rain, Jordy lustig
- Passion and Risks, UMBELINA FROTA Linhares Pime ..
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Dee Jay
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses
- I only scribed a dirge but she killed th.., Sir Toby Moses
- Imitation., Tony Adah
- Stupid Wife, kassem oude
- Suicide Note., Tony Adah