Skins on bones
upstaged the ash pile
in a damp narrow hut,
crouched before their executioners.
They had no tears
even though they tried to weep.
They did not bleed, over the weeks.
They were smoked without washing.
On the cusp of death, they sang:
let anthem rain
in the Promised Land!
Let anthem rain
where we come to sing
our songs of redemption.
Let anthem rain!
History is tardy but the ground
is a faithful witness.
This history will not be repeated,
memories restless where ashes wail.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ashes by Buxton Shippy )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Mona Lisa Canvas, Gilbert Ortega
- Passion Play, Gilbert Ortega
- The Gatekeeper part 2 (In memory of Edga.., Gilbert Ortega
- AGAINST FORGETTING, George Dee Vuy
- The Gatekeeper part 1 (In memory of Edga.., Gilbert Ortega
- For Jennifer, Gilbert Ortega
- Gilded Thorns, Gilbert Ortega
- Journey of death, ramesh rai
- Green cypress hills…, Mark Heathcote
- Ο χορός των Ερινύων, Elena Ioannou