Electric light, orange glow,
hums and flickers out.
Beneath unnatural hue, a deeper gloom,
the pub is turning out.
The alley cats are mewling,
prowling by the bin.
The drunks are cursing keyholes,
knocking, they can’t get in.
The little owl sits hooting,
oblivious to the scene.
The drunks and cats are homebound,
It’s like they’ve never been.
Stillness claims the night,
the moon reveals her face.
The pipistrelles now take to wing,
with elegance and grace.
A lonely fox, chasing scraps,
a hedgehog snuffles through the grass.
The fox has found a morsel,
amongst the broken glass.
Now the sun is rising,
the moon, yawning, says goodbye.
The milk cart hums down the lane,
the songbirds start to fly.
Jojoba Mansell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (At Night by Jojoba Mansell )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- Voyage, Hrishikesh Bharadwaj
- Reflected In Mirrors, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- zeros and ones, Tajudeen Shah
- Beat Of My Heart, Lydia Cunningham
- Tell - Tale Moments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Speculative Visions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Allocating Rhythms, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Perfect You, Naomi Mith
- The Water, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Opened, Sade Bolaji