Athens Shall Burn for the 3rd Time
The three hundred shall perish again,
As history repeats itself.
Although this time, it may only be 297.
My mother was possessed by the God, Apollo,
On the 21st the new Oracle of Delphi is crowned.
And although the prophet is blind,
it makes the prediction no less false,
the narrative no less compelling.
We live in the time of the 7th great extinction,
Yet our people, occluded like a rat in a maze
dance, drink, and watch.
For we are passengers on a ride
of great forgetting
Our remembrances of false events
and fictional commemorations
Very much on autopilot
And asleep at the wheel.
The prophecy is no longer about Athens,
Or democracy's demise,
But rather civilization as a whole.
We are unsustainable,
on a path to destruction.
Denial is not just the river,
At the birthplace of civilization,
But a reminder of the devastation we have already caused.
Just 12 more lifeforms need to expire,
and nature will unleash the 6bea6st6 upon man.
The event has already started
with most creatures, including man oblivious
We eat and be merry
murdering pigs and slaughtering cows
But the true beast is obvious.
And nature always has a way of balancing out that which is disproportionate.
Joseph DeMarco's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Athens Shall Burn for the 3rd Time by Joseph DeMarco )
- 'Valerie', Katherine Nordhaus
- 'Charlie Girl', Katherine Nordhaus
- Madrigal Dedicated To An Angel., Marcondes Pereira
- Halloween, lee fones
- Canned thoughts, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Aunt Giovanna, at 80, Gary Corseri
- For To be An Indian English Poet, You St.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Magical, David Harris
- A Necessary Wish, Sandra Feldman
- Stations of life, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Before I Knocked, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)