I sit in the black leather chair
on the plume of smoke that rises
in the air,
riffling the pages of my life
as if it were a book of poems,
past & future.
If I go back, back, back,
riding the plume of smoke,
I find I died
in childbirth in another life,
died by fire in the life before that,
died by water twice, or more.
I pick out days
& relive them
as if I were trying on dresses.
When the future beckons,
riding another plume of smoke,
feeling the barrier
between skin & air
& my body disappear
like the myth it is.
My cheeks burn against the air,
flaming where two elements collide
Oh explosion at the body's edge!
I live on a ledge of time,
at the infinite.
Erica Jong's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Aura by Erica Jong )
- Erato my Muse of love poetry, Erato
- AN EMOTIONAL STORY I COULDN'T TELL, Godspower Oshodin
- Shift and Drift, Aftab Alam
- Rivalry is humane to time, Ajala Samuel Akindele
- Certain attitudes to be followed by the .., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Sorry-Wrong Number, Aftab Alam
- Gripes of. Freedom, Nalini Chaturvedi
- Jesus Of Nazareth, Naveed Khalid
- Keebored Problems, Phil Soar
- Antiques, Naveed Khalid