Ernest Christopher Dowson
Pale amber sunlight falls across
The reddening October trees,
That hardly sway before a breeze
As soft as summer: summer's loss
Seems little, dear! on days like these.
Let misty autumn be our part!
The twilight of the year is sweet:
Where shadow and the darkness meet
Our love, a twilight of the heart
Eludes a little time's deceit.
Are we not better and at home
In dreamful Autumn, we who deem
No harvest joy is worth a dream?
A little while and night shall come,
A little while, then, let us dream.
Beyond the pearled horizons lie
Winter and night: awaiting these
We garner this poor hour of ease,
Until love turn from us and die
Beneath the drear November trees.
Ernest Christopher Dowson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Autumnal by Ernest Christopher Dowson )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 January 1887 – 20 January 1962)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Behind Closed Doors Once Again, Electric Lady
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- SAINTS AND SINNERS, Changu Chilwesa
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
Poem of the Day
- O My Friend Jerry, Abdulrazak Aralimatti
- The Chance, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Eve, Leong Ming Loong
- SCROUSE and SCRUMPY, michael walkerjohn
- ` S a c r e d..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Spring Rhyme, Luo Zhihai
- Sweet Lady, Michael P. McParland
- Sweet Goodnight, Michael P. McParland
- Sweet Dreams Sweet Love, Michael P. McParland
- Sweet Dreams My Lady Fair, Michael P. McParland