! Backward boys
Saturday evening, the week's hired film, click-click, click-click
while we chewed fruit gums and shouted FOCUS!
from time to time when the reel changed;
and after The White Hell of Pitz Palu
or The Lost Horizon, and Mickey in black and white
and Corky the Cat; after the hired films
and the occasional black potato growing on the screen
when the celluloid caught fire,
the home movies run backwards:
and the world was a magic kingdom -
things jumped from nowhere into your hands
like the world's top ball player;
while you ate, the plate filled instead of emptied;
and the happy smiles-for-the-camera
became inane dissociated grins
as if you knew you were being totally idiotic
but had no control...
that life, on Saturday evening, did just that for real:
Saturday's trashy film would take on the solemn
inevitability of Greek tragedy;
shoplifting would be an act of humble charity
as one slipped the goods- blink-back onto the counter;
and we the older would look so eagerly forward
to childishness and irresponsibility
(as we alas will; but then more agile and more loved with it) :
like teenagers, go to bed alert and wake up tired...
and in the bathroom - no, let's not go there...
and then at midnight, Cinderella Time would revert to real time.
But under the covers as we blissed off to sleep,
a great big, wrinkled, toothy grin...
Michael Shepherd's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (! Backward boys by Michael Shepherd )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- let the wild rumpus start!, Mandolyn ...
- Keep on the Sunny Side, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Switches …… [NOT just for electrician.., Bri Edwards
- there's heaven on the plains and freedom.., Mandolyn ...
- Journey of imaginable stress!, Marshall Gass
- the fishermen on the wharf, Marshall Gass
- In The Market For The Exotic, Terence G. Craddock
- Far Traveller Absorb Exotic Sights, Terence G. Craddock
- the yardstick, Marshall Gass
- Market Traveller Moves Unseen, Terence G. Craddock