Derek. A. Sim
Better Late Than Never...
Better Late Than Never
I had to work late; you're home all alone,
you're probably wondering, ‘Why didn't he phone? '
You'll be heating the oven and preparing our meal,
as I slam on the brakes, the tyres all squeal.
You're changing your work clothes for homely attire,
as the car starts to spin, the consequences; dire,
preparing the veg, you uncork the wine,
as the car clips the kerb; and ploughs through a sign.
You're pouring two glasses, expecting me there,
the car's on its roof, there's blood everywhere,
you switch on the telly as your patience wears thin,
the windshield is out… the earth's coming in.
Whilst you wait and worry, ‘Just where can he be? '
The car enters the lake after glancing a tree,
I'm trapped and I'm sinking, with no help at hand,
the car fills with water, the doors… both jammed.
I'm panicking now; thinking, ‘Is this the end? '
My thoughts turn to you… my soulmate, my friend,
I see all the places and faces fleet past,
your troubled expression, remembering our past.
How will you manage as I leave you alone?
To sort out my funeral; to order my stone.
I'm now in my childhood as the pictures wind back,
my last thought is you…
My world is now black.
Derek. A. Sim's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Better Late Than Never... by Derek. A. Sim )
- Birthday, bryan wallace
- My Jason Lytle Suggestion, Mark R. Elias
- Poetic Aspirations, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Nappy Change, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Holding Closely, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Rock an' Roller, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Living With An Open Heart, Renee Marie
- Love Burns, Angela K Brown
- Broken Love, Angela K Brown
- All of Me, Angela K Brown
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)