Amjad Islam Amjad
Beware, Now That You Have Left Your Homes
So said the Breezes addressing those departing,
"To search for the long departed is certainly a futile effort,
for who has ever found the traces of the long departed!
you, who wander about the darkness
carrying shimmering lamps in your eyes,
youl tell us,
has anything ever sprouted from dead earth!"
Ruined by an eternally secure nature,
paths of imagination tell tales,
of the precious footsteps of the long departed,
arouse hopes of union;
mingling with the verdant smell of roselike bodies,
by the living knock of their quiet rustlings.
Were you to ask about the abodes
of those passionate faces, questioning eyes;
Those paths of imagination peer at you
as though words:
have been severed from their meanings
have clustered in the ambiguous whirlwind of anonymity.
So said the journeys addressing those departing,
"Travel is an ocean of trials and afflictions.
It is entirely a whirlpool.
The gait of the long departed is
nothing more than the vagaries of desert winds,
unaware of its waystations,
It is a mirage;
More credible than clear vision.
Every spectacle is a tunic of perishing colours, as
failures and dreams go hand in hand"
So said the Stars, addressing those departing
"But the longing to rekindle previous friendship
Is the path to union
The new word derives vitality from the
reappearance of timeworn letters.
Beware, now that you have left your homes,
decadence, demise of existence,
eternal fire of eyes,
The path to the unseen destination
is illumined by those who have long departed."
[Translated by Farooq Hamid]
Amjad Islam Amjad's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Beware, Now That You Have Left Your Homes by Amjad Islam Amjad )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(20 June 1952 -)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- An Almost Made Up Poem, Charles Bukowski
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Cause And Effect, Charles Bukowski
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Yuletide Double Dactyl, Harley White
- Sleigh Ride, Angela Wybrow
- Two Lost Souls, Michael P. McParland
- Understanding Is The Key 2, Michael P. McParland
- Understanding Is The Key, Michael P. McParland
- Undying Love, Michael P. McParland
- Vision Of Beauty, Michael P. McParland
- Visions, Michael P. McParland
- Roman Showers, Michael P. McParland
- Double Rainbow, Liilia Talts Morrison