I will watch you spread your wings,
And I will watch you fly.
Away to bigger, better things
Onto the rolling sky.
Each has a different song to sing,
Alone I wonder why,
Why I must face this bitter sting
Why I must sing goodbye.
Although it seems to me right now
this nest is cold and alone
I would live this way, the rest of my days,
to know you have a happy home.
I know that nowhere in the world, is there another dove
That’s half as wonderful as you, that deserves as much love.
No matter where you fly, to far forest or sea
You will get all of the love you need, and that’s only from me!
And though I'm filled with sadness, I'm also filed with pride
I can think of you and smile, because I once flew at your side
It was I that kept you brave, in any time of strife,
I can think of you and smile, because I have touched your life.
Although I have to sing goodbye, the melody is sweet;
Because the happiness you bring to me, will fill everyone you meet.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Birdsong by Harry Radcliffe )
- O My Songs, Madhav Sarkunde
- Detester's haste, Hamisi Miriti
- Masibonisane, senzokhaya umhayi
- namhlanje usuku olukhulu, senzokhaya umhayi
- okuhle, senzokhaya umhayi
- babies and dogs, oskar hansen
- God Could be Never Wrong, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Khalani zinyoni vele nizolibusa, senzokhaya umhayi
- Fever power, hasmukh amathalal
- Inside a tomb, MOHAMMAD SKATI