Driving down the highway,
laughing at stories from the day.
Swerving from lane to lane,
all of us completely insane.
Coming from a wild party,
knowing tomorrow at school we'll be tardy.
Drinking from a drug-filled bottle,
the driver goes at full throttle.
Before us, a bright light.
With a crash, everything goes white.
Everything in my line of sight
was taken from me that night.
The driver, he was my neighbor.
It's my fault he wasn't sober.
The front passenger, my best friend.
A sign of forgiveness, I hope she'll send.
But the worst of all
was my boyfriend, Saul.
I love him so much
and now I can't tell him such.
The last thing he said,
I remember everynight in bed.
His eyes, blue-green like the sea,
held tears when he said he loved me.
At their graves, I lay flowers for each.
For the driver, lilacs blue as the water at the beach.
For my friend, daisies, white like a dove.
And a black rose for my dead love.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Black Rose by Jessie Hopkins )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- An Almost Made Up Poem, Charles Bukowski
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Twittering Among Feelings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Living Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Magic, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Life Stretching, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Electric Love, Suresh Dogra
- Capturing An Awareness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Letting Imagination Run, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A river, Leong Ming Loong
- The End of the Road, Sandra Feldman
- Silent Conversation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak