Through rapid eye in slowest motion
With limbs of lead, wade treacle-ocean.
Feet at anchor dragging chains
I run wet through by acid rains.
Stealthily hunted on the hoof
One step ahead of Sabre tooth.
Look over shoulder at my pursuer
Run rabbit run warm-blooded lure.
Dream weaver snared in sticky web
Breath burns my lungs both flow and ebb.
Ten thousand candles burning bright
A solar flare lights up the night.
Beneath the searchlight beam I dance
To shun the stage for dark my chance.
I summon up spent energy
Feel hot breath against my neck
Alive survive my pulse I check.
I gasp for air I claw at sheet
Position changed drift back to sleep.
Busy sleeping, sleeping busy
On common ground I’m falling dizzy.
I run and run to take my place
Out front, the hunt I lead the chase.
Again I flee they’re after me
Take cover behind my family tree.
Genetically linked over time
I'm guilty of horrendous crime.
I know not what it is I've done
But the chase goes on hunted I run
Almost I surface from my sleep
Then sink again conscious is deep
Choose flight or fight a slumbering run
Of sluggish limbs make fists of thumbs.
Climb tangled rope with monkey grip
Awake escape this nasty trip
To want to wake can't be asleep
The chase goes on I can't delete
I leap into the honeyed sea
Where few would choose to follow me
Escape, escape, try to evade
Through treacle thick waist deep I wade
Awakened now unleashed from sleep
from bed of dread to floor I leap
Innocent of any crime is me
Still weighted down anxiety
Escaped confines of dreaming prison
Heartbeat returns to normal rhythm
Guilty conscience busy sleeping
Eyes shut wide night terror reaping
Anthony Burge's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Busy Sleeping by Anthony Burge )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- To Answer Your Question, Serena Blackinton
- ' H E I S...', sunshine garcia
- Love Note 11, Michael P. McParland
- Bicker and Swear, Donal Mahoney
- Put God First, Robert Barnett
- Te Amé Desde el Primer de los Días, Hebert Logerie
- Scales falling, Angell Afinowi
- About the Armadillo, Angell Afinowi
- Leprosy at the birthday Party, Angell Afinowi
- The Journey, Alvin Mingle