Catch A Firefly
Here I am, in the dark,
Lights flashing all around me.
I can feel the coldness in the air,
I can feel a prickling on my feet.
The green is towering,
The orange is falling.
I love being outdoors,
And I love the night.
From dark skies to grass floors,
Everything feels right.
And now is the best part,
'Tis time to catch a firefly.
I have compared you to many things,
Some being very beautiful and some bright.
Some are great wonders and some just simple.
I have found something new,
Something bringing me thoughts of you.
I see you are like a firefly too.
'Tis a special day for you.
Yes, very special, and I'm alone.
I am walking in the night,
I have lost myself.
I need to find something,
I want to catch a firefly.
I don't much like bugs,
And I want them away from me,
As I cannot fit it with people well,
I am better off alone.
But I want to catch a firefly,
Just as I want to be with you.
I am all alone in the dark of night,
A firefly comes and flashes its light.
With that, everything feels alright.
I am trapped in the darkness of life.
You come and cut the dark like a knife.
With you, 'tis the end of the strife.
A firefly is flying close by,
I catch the firefly and feel its light,
And the firefly flies away.
You are standing close to me,
I have you for only a second,
But then you have to go.
'Tis a very special day for you,
Did you think that I had not a clue?
I could not give you what I wanted,
But I guess you don't need it.
I want to catch a firefly,
i want to catch you.
Stephen Carey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Catch A Firefly by Stephen Carey )
- Villanelle, Peter Jay Shippy
- First comes a riddle, Ahmed Tawfik
- My Father was a Farmer: A Ballad, Robert Burns
- It's Hard to Imagine That Nothing At All.., Peter Jay Shippy
- How cruel are the parents, Robert Burns
- Things change, Ahmed Tawfik
- Lines to an Old Sweetheart, Robert Burns
- To Miss Ferrier, enclosing Elegy on Sir .., Robert Burns
- Rhyming Reply to a Note from Captain Rid.., Robert Burns
- I Murder hate, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns