When children, we wish to stay young.
To run and forever play.
A million little Peter Pans
Forever young to stay.
When we hit thirteen, we want to go.
To be as old as we can look.
We dropp our toys for keys
Electronics in place of picture book.
We run as fast as our legs can go.
To be eighteen! To be cool!
We want to be away from Mom,
We want be free of school.
And then, when we get to the “perfect age”
We stay a little while in bliss.
But soon as we see that age go slipping by
We cry and scream and hiss.
And then we spend the rest of life
On food and makeup and toys
That make us feel as though we were
Still little girls and boys.
Why is it that when we seem to mature
Our common sense washes away
Why do we all strive to be one age
When we know we won’t be it, one day?
We run ahead to be twenty and waste
The years we spend only running.
Then spend the rest of our live
Wishing we had stayed where we were.
Are the children the only ones with sense?
Let us be as they are.
Let us live who we are.
Not what we wish that we were.
Sophia White's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Child Sense by Sophia White )
- Distorted image, Md. Asadullah
- Our Creator, Margaret Moran
- Pocket Knife, Cheyenne Rhon
- By Making My Soul Glow, Rohit Sapra
- Metre and melody, gajanan mishra
- The Rest, Frank Avon
- The kingdom, gajanan mishra
- The Headland Wreck, David Lewis Paget
- THE MIND OF POET, Kashif khan
- Spiritually Bound, Michael McParland
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1440 - 1518)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)