Childhood is hanging your pictures on the refrigerator, and tea parties you always have to cater.
Childhood is chasing butterflies and picking flowers,
playing with blocks and making towers.
Childhood is hating nap time,
and thinking everything is always MINE
Childhood is crayons and coloring books,
Playing hide and go seek in all the right nooks.
Childhood is falling asleep to your favorite lullaby,
wishing you had wings so you could soar into the sky.
Childhood is only crying over a scrapped knee,
or being stung by a bumble bee
Childhood is thinking boys have cooties,
or your mom making you wear itchy booties.
Childhood is ruining mommy's new leather,
and making friends and keeping them forever.
Childhood finally ends,
When you start to grow up,
And not having to drink out of a sippy cup
shenika vermaak's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (childhood is... by shenika vermaak )
- Unknown Realms, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Act of plagiarism, Aftab Alam
- Chadjeordie, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Miss Fatma, Ali Nawroz
- Everything Goes On, Fatima Nusairat
- From Fear to Greed..., Mr. Nobody
- Abandonment's Pain, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Lingerings, Stephen Warren Williams
- Love is Heaven's Bliss, Aftab Alam
- Nobody F-in' Loves Me! : D, Mr. Nobody
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Flower, Rabindranath Tagore
- Alone, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)