Chuseok Korean Thanksgiving Day (Regional)
Moon says it's the 15th day of the 8th month.
Time to say thank you ancestors,
For this year's harvest day.
Three days of honor begin;
The days grow shorter as, winter comes,
Nights grow longer,
I pray for a warm winter.
Squirrels bury their food in holes under the grass,
Look for hollowed-out trees so fast.
Korean Harvest Moon Festival,
Long holiday break at last!
Traffic jams all day,
Visit my childhood home this traditional day,
Clean up my grandma and grandpa's graves,
Cutting weeds, branches and grass.
Hi grandma and grandpa,
Please accept these gifts of food, soju and flowers.
I bow down to honor you.
Young and old women dance in
A circle holding hands, no bands,
Under bright moonlight.
Great Admiral Yi Sun-Sin had the women dress like men.
Fool the enemy they did then.
Eat some songpyeon.
Perfect and pretty songpyeon.
Will bring the gift of a pretty daughter!
Goodbye autumn! Hello winter!
I love Chuseok so much.
"I wish every day was Chuseok.
No more no less."
Ronald Chapman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Chuseok Korean Thanksgiving Day (Regional) by Ronald Chapman )
- With No Rest, Edward Kofi Louis
- A Dark Cloud, Edward Kofi Louis
- When we were, 107 tshepzen
- 379. Song—Fragment—Love for love, Robert Burns
- Snail, snake!, Edward Kofi Louis
- 89. The Ordination, Robert Burns
- Cold Rooms, Edward Kofi Louis
- On Hinges Swings, Chukwuemeka Okonkwo
- With Compassion, Edward Kofi Louis
- Adieu!, RAJESH.C BOSE
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Exposure, Wilfred Owen
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1679 - 1718)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)