The coma came and I wanted to shout,
I want out and then they came,
The dreams of death that made me feel ashamed.
Ashamed that I had to make the decision,
Who should live, who should die,
Just as long as it was not I.
The battle plagued on for days and days,
From murder, suicide, disaster, disease,
It always had to end in a casualty.
Mother or father,
It had to be one.
Sister or brother,
How could I choose who should have won?
People I didn't even know,
Shot themselves with a gun,
Their blood strewn in the snow.
Water that drowned,
Fires that desiccated,
Earthquakes that desecrated.
Bodies in which cancer was riddled,
The man who went on a murder rampage,
The plane that crashes that leaves families in dismay.
It alarms me and sometimes makes me cry,
I had a part in these people's fate even though untrue,
In order for myself to stay alive,
I had to decide who should live and who should die.
Leigh Ladd's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Coma by Leigh Ladd )
- Ludio ludius Lego, michael walkerjohn
- Right to exist, hasmukh amathalal
- Dead Leaves, David Lacey
- Brookstones, Cee Bea
- there it is, Bill Cantrell
- Broken Mirrors Haiku, David Lacey
- In the Deserts of Exile, Jabra Ibrahim Jabra
- True Poetry Is Like A Rose, Denis Martindale
- Lovely butterflies Fly by, See I, Harindhar Reddy
- Believe and trust, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
Andrew Barton Paterson
(17 February 1864 – 5 February 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)