Fierce passions discompose the mind,
As tempests vex the sea,
But calm, content and peace we find,
When, Lord, we turn to Thee.
In vain by reason and by rule
We try to bend the will;
For none but in the Saviour's school
Can learn the heavenly skill.
Since at His feet my soul has sate,
His gracious words to hear,
Contented with my present state,
I cast on Him my care.
"Art thou a sinner, soul?" He said,
"Then how canst thou complain?
How light thy troubles here, if weigh'd
With everlasting pain!
"If thou of murmuring wouldst be cured,
Compare thy griefs with mine!
Think what my love for thee endured,
And thou wilt not repine.
"'Tis I appoint thy daily lot,
And I do all things well;
Thou soon shalt leave this wretched spot,
And rise with me to dwell.
"In life my grace shall strength supply,
Proportion'd to thy day;
At death thou still shalt find me nigh,
To wipe thy tears away."
Thus I, who once my wretched days
In vain repinings spent,
Taught in my Saviour's school of grace,
Have learnt to be content.
William Cowper's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Contentment by William Cowper )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
Edwin Arlington Robinson
(22 December 1869 – 6 April 1935)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Time is your worst enemy, Leong Ming Loong
- Price, Nassy Fesharaki
- Fuck You, Michael Webb
- The marvelous designer., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Stories We Tell Ourselves, Michael Mira
- The catastrophe., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Peace One Day, Lyn Paul
- 'THE INFANT'S WAIL', Princewill Umunnakwe
- daggers of bayonets, pittbull pittman
- The Flow of Destiny, Sandra Feldman