Stars fall from the sky
Melting over a young girls heart as she cries
Her daddy’s gone
Says it’s where he belongs
The heat of war breathing down her neck
Burning through her days like today and the next
Guns shooting inside her head
It hurts so much, even though she’s almost deaf
She can hear his pain
And knows that he’s losing this sick game
She can hear his breathing
So heavy, she stopped believing…
“Daddy, the sun stopped shining long ago
Its dark, it always used to glow
Can’t you come home, spread some light?
Comfort me like you used to, whenever I cry
Daddy, do you still love me?
Or is there no longer a reason?
Do you miss my loving hug like I miss yours?
What about when we used to surf happiness along the shores?
Daddy, are you still alive?
If so, give me a sign
Your last letter was seven months ago
And the time is going so slow”
“Daddy, I found these poppies amongst my letters when I was three
Is this what I think it means?
I really miss you
But you won’t come home anytime soon”…
Hannah Hebditch's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Daddys Gone by Hannah Hebditch )
- I Fly, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Fissures Of Imagination, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Girl-child., Bieze Josephat
- Main Street U.S.A., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Cabin in the woods., Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Swing, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The old water tower., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Comforted, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Taken you back in time., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Joe, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)