Darkness Be My Friend
As the sun sets and the moon rises,
I start to fell afraid.
Afraid about not seeing the sun again,
Afraid about being stuck with the depressing moon.
As the night wears on,
I sense something following me.
I turn around as fast as lightning
There’s nothing there.
At least nothing I can see.
What was following me wasn’t following me at all.
It was darkness.
And it felt so good.
To be engulfed in it and to feel all the different kinds of pain.
It was like the world had opened up,
And had let me have the time of my life.
Sadly, the sun rises and the moon sets.
As the top of the moon finally disappears,
‘Darkness, be my friend’.
M.J. Henderson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Darkness Be My Friend by M.J. Henderson )
- Live Life Smiling, Elizabeth Garcia
- Quiet Dave, Adeosun Olamide
- We Are That, Tushar Ray
- Old-Fashioned Cosmology, douglas scotney
- Dreamt Of You 3, Michael McParland
- That's When You Do It, douglas scotney
- Freedom in Love's Prison, Paul Hartal
- Gun Propaganda, Is It Poetry
- Silver Spoons, Mikey Bachman
- Perjury against the Innocent Punished by.., Dimitri Jagodinski
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Lesson, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(22 March 1941 -)