Death Of A Butterfly
New curtains hung
Till shone as mirror.
New recipes tried
The whole house transformed,
Now a battlefield
A battle to be won.
Like a battle-worn soldier
She stood aloof
Impassive face apathetic eyes
Scanning the flurry.
Suddenly she was seized
Shoved in a car
Off to some beauty clinic.
Face scrubbed eyebrows plucked
Make up and all done
All illness cured.
A metamorphosis for the caterpillar
The butterfly stood facing the mirror.
The hour of bargain approached,
Displayed before strange eyes,
Scrutinized for a flaw,
Flurried by questions,
Here mercy is unknown.
She quailed in pain,
Must she go through the ordeal
To receive the bliss of marriage?
She shrank with shame,
Mistaken for coyness.
Her fate is to be chosen,
A woman is not to choose.
The butterfly lies motionless,
Her wings are broken now.
Aimanu Begum's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Death Of A Butterfly by Aimanu Begum )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- You don't deserve a title, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Don't wait, Marina Olivera Sangers
- I am an eagle, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Exactly what I am looking for, Diamond The Ninja
- You're the one with issues, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Words, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Am I Asking Too Much, GJG Elton
- Perfection, Marina Olivera Sangers
- GroundSound, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Bukowski, Frank Avon