Not Long Left
.Death Of An Uncle and The Melted Lego Man
I had just begun to understand
the meaning of death when my uncle died.
Before him, Death was something that
happpened to members of my family that
I had never seen nor spoken to.
Sometimes they were brought back to us
during Dinner time, Dad would down his
beer and speak of them.
Death seemed unimportant to me, for no
one ever really seemed to speak of it.
The day my uncle died, mothers face
changed, it sagged and hung like a wet
flannel stuck to the bathroom wall.
She had large sacks under her eyes,
I imagined this was where her tears were
hiding. Her face reminded me of my Lego man.
He had fallen from his turret into our coal fire
two years before, and was rescued by my dad
who had carried him like a new born bird.
When he was given back to me, his whole
face was suspended, frozen yellow droplets
ran down his once smiling face.
My brother said he was the image of the Elephant man.
That was how my mother looked.
After the funeral and after those unkwown well wishers
had drunk themselves sad. I got my Little melted Lego
Man and replaced his head with a smiling Pirates one.
I gave it to my mother, and she like the Pirate smiled.
Not Long Left's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (.Death Of An Uncle and The Melted Lego Man by Not Long Left )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Matilda Who told Lies, and was Burned to.., Hilaire Belloc
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Lovers of the sun, Tony md chamasense
- A Lucky Penny, Hebert Logerie
- A Letter for a Broken Hearted, Reagan A. Latumbo
- Allure And Mystique, Margaret Alice Second
- Beware, Tony md chamasense
- Longing., Jak Black
- Summer Nights, Deborah Ager
- The Old House, Paul Gerard Reed
- The role of Kama, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- I Dream of Her, Olufayo Ezekiel