Free falling into the bowel of the heart, soul loses all the interests;
Which once meant so much, brought so much joys, now, gone;
Book closed, window shut, lips tight, lamenting.
Where is the inner fire, the sweet romance, the music of a soul?
Gone, away, absent, soul wanders alone like a strayed dog at night fall.
Cigarettes, booze, dancing are not useful; companion flat.
The only thing soul seems arousing some faint interest is a distant call,
The sad notes of piano being played;
Each note, one by one, punctuates into soul’s very core,
Deepens its wounded scars, hurts, but soul prefers
It seems when the wounds are too painful, soul just wants to reach death
A slow numbing death, soul hopes for the absence of any feeling at all
Soul, why do you suffer much? Does anyone care? Does anyone see
Your bitter agony?
They only see your joyous but avoid your sorrowful
For the latter might imply guilt or obligation or might stir their own anguishes
Soul, you can come to me, the Fountain of sweetness
For a cleansing bath, for renewed emotional closeness;
They call me Compassion.
I can lead you out of your misery of perpetuating self-inflicted slumber.
Look around you for existence of human miseries,
That, I am sure, you do not have to travel far to see.
Look at that beggar at the corner,
Wrapped around in tattered cloths resembling clothes,
Smiling with pains of hunger begging for some compassion and kindness.
Soul, you probably wonder why he even bothers
To keep on living in order to keep on begging.
Do you know why that beggar did not give up, did not lie down to wait death?
Because he knows a spark of compassion will eventually come
To lighten up and warm up his soul, even just for a flash moment.
The instant of hope, the moment of love,
Soul, that is exactly what you need to re-lighten your soul-life.
Lift your gloomy face up,
For the Divine Charity stoops down to drop two coins into your basket,
Coins made of most precious gold.
And the generous pierced Hands do appear human, like yours.
(When you feel better, do the same for others, less fortunate.)
Don Nguyen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Depressed Soul by Don Nguyen )
- It Really Ain't So Bad.... In Hell ......., Bri Edwards
- Crushed Cookies...... [HUMOR; SHORT; re.., Bri Edwards
- Where Did Mommy Go, Stephen Morris Jr
- me sisters dog, lee fones
- On Cold Grey Mountain, John Martinez
- I KNEW LOVE, SHARON YAKOWA
- I'm Still Here, Stephen Morris Jr
- tramp, lee fones
- Leaves On The Grass, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Thought Process, Mitta Xinindlu
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Bright Glow, Joyce Hemsley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Very Short Song, Dorothy Parker
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Love's Philosophy, Percy Bysshe Shelley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(22 March 1941 -)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)