Spinning faster and faster, spiraling down, down,
Depression creates a suffocating heaviness
which consumes and smothers your entire being.
As i recall this space in time,
it seems as though viewing an experience that belongs
to a stranger.
My physical body defeated,
so tired there is no movement.
Eratic thought patterns that make no sense.
Who is controlling these thoughts?
My mind is in control,
which now belongs to the very dark powerful emotion of
This emotion gathers together, confusion, negativity, loss,
misery, self hatred, guilt, and doubt,
all joining forces and circling faster, causing dizziness
and taking me down to a cold, dark place full of sadness.
This sadness so overwhelming it comes crashing,
over and over like pounding waves,
its too dark to see anything,
the next wave crashes over with no time for a breath
before the next wave floods tears that fall
as though they will never stop falling.
Nothing makes any sense -
I am lost, it is dark, it is cold, I am scared,
in this darkness i fall deeper into this nightmare.
1st September 2003
CHARMAINE SIMPSON's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Depression Monster by CHARMAINE SIMPSON )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- Deepavu Ninnade.. Gaaliyu Ninnade.., K. S. Narasimhaswamy
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- The Theatre of The Absurd (III), Bijay Kant Dubey
- On My Songs, Luo Zhihai
- There Is A Time When One Forces Oneself .., Shalom Freedman
- Lament to the Full Moon, Geoffrey Fafard
- Roach Talk, Ima Ryma
- Haiku A Butterfly By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- MERCY OUR COVALENCY REMAINS WITH BUOYANCY, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Haiku A Wizened Rose By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- A Cleaner World, Luis Estable
- A Coronary Relapse, white dove