Spinning faster and faster, spiraling down, down,
Depression creates a suffocating heaviness
which consumes and smothers your entire being.
As i recall this space in time,
it seems as though viewing an experience that belongs
to a stranger.
My physical body defeated,
so tired there is no movement.
Eratic thought patterns that make no sense.
Who is controlling these thoughts?
My mind is in control,
which now belongs to the very dark powerful emotion of
This emotion gathers together, confusion, negativity, loss,
misery, self hatred, guilt, and doubt,
all joining forces and circling faster, causing dizziness
and taking me down to a cold, dark place full of sadness.
This sadness so overwhelming it comes crashing,
over and over like pounding waves,
its too dark to see anything,
the next wave crashes over with no time for a breath
before the next wave floods tears that fall
as though they will never stop falling.
Nothing makes any sense -
I am lost, it is dark, it is cold, I am scared,
in this darkness i fall deeper into this nightmare.
1st September 2003
CHARMAINE SIMPSON's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Depression Monster by CHARMAINE SIMPSON )
- My eyelids, Sergio Jaime
- I Am Woman, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Unnamed Emotions, Monica Mohan
- Canon fire, Cee Bea
- Haiku ' Sea', miken newman
- The House on the Hill, Cathy Hodgson
- Haiku 8, Kim Barney
- $hOpErS LOVe $hOpIng - but, sEaN nOrTh
- Tras mis párpados, Sergio Jaime
- Future Fast Forward, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The City Planners, Margaret Atwood
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- In Flanders Field, John McCrae
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Little Song Of Life, Lizette Woodworth Reese
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Heather Burns
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(18 November 1939)