Mariam de Haan
Imagine a man who weighs as much as his age
34 kilos another 44.
But they're not anorexic
Not dying of disease, not sick!
They choose this.
Imagine being forced to feed
A tube shoved down your throat.
You want to vomit
But it wont come out.
Instead agony fills your chest and stomach
And the tube goes further, medical assistance they call it.
Imagine having never held your son
Samir wishes to start a family of his own.
Instead he's locked in a prison
Apparently for no reason,
When they looked through the evidence
They said he gets clearance.
Samir and 88 others,
Then why are they in their cells
Still waiting for a sentence?
Comments say Mandela was in prison but didn' lose his dignity.
Never went hungry.
But how else will they gain publicity?
Don't bring them to court, lock them in the heat.
Victims of what happened a decade in the past
9/11, your effects did last!
Yes once again I'm talking about the land of the 'free'.
They support human rights, justice and democracy.
But they've got a prison full of detainees,
Waiting for a trial since 2001 and now it's 2013.
Obama said I'm closing it
He didn't practise what he preached.
By now you know what this is about.
Yep, Guantanamo bay
A place where torture is committed everyday.
The prisoners might not be guilty but they're there to stay.
I'm just another pest who cares
While the world turns away.
Mariam de Haan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Detainees by Mariam de Haan )
- On Being Governed, Donald R Charon
- All are mine, gajanan mishra
- Our Air, Foster Teegarden
- I wear a sweater now, The Princess
- Morning Triku V, Steve Kittell
- To My Love, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Scrutinized As Being Abusive, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Sting, Foster Teegarden
- Some Ghoul, Foster Teegarden
- the man of christmas, Faith Taylors
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)