Mariam de Haan
Imagine a man who weighs as much as his age
34 kilos another 44.
But they're not anorexic
Not dying of disease, not sick!
They choose this.
Imagine being forced to feed
A tube shoved down your throat.
You want to vomit
But it wont come out.
Instead agony fills your chest and stomach
And the tube goes further, medical assistance they call it.
Imagine having never held your son
Samir wishes to start a family of his own.
Instead he's locked in a prison
Apparently for no reason,
When they looked through the evidence
They said he gets clearance.
Samir and 88 others,
Then why are they in their cells
Still waiting for a sentence?
Comments say Mandela was in prison but didn' lose his dignity.
Never went hungry.
But how else will they gain publicity?
Don't bring them to court, lock them in the heat.
Victims of what happened a decade in the past
9/11, your effects did last!
Yes once again I'm talking about the land of the 'free'.
They support human rights, justice and democracy.
But they've got a prison full of detainees,
Waiting for a trial since 2001 and now it's 2013.
Obama said I'm closing it
He didn't practise what he preached.
By now you know what this is about.
Yep, Guantanamo bay
A place where torture is committed everyday.
The prisoners might not be guilty but they're there to stay.
I'm just another pest who cares
While the world turns away.
Mariam de Haan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Detainees by Mariam de Haan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Sun Smiles at morning-glories, What a Fun!, Harindhar Reddy
- Person of the Playful Star: Tanka [there.., Chimako Tada
- Love Desires, Perveiz Ali
- Tick, tick, Aromantic Birds in Love, Harindhar Reddy
- A Spray of Water: Tanka [the round spoon], Chimako Tada
- A Spray of Water: Tanka [the hot water in], Chimako Tada
- Person of the Playful Star: Tanka [I lis.., Chimako Tada
- Love Whips You on Naked Back, Harindhar Reddy
- ~I'm Going Home~, E Nigma
- Smile poem love, Elius Rubby