Do It Then
Since it is written God knows what I need before I ask
(it doesn't matter who, what, where or when) ,
when He finds out that I require something in this life,
God answers me by saying, "Get it, then."
The junk food I was eating was causing me to gain weight,
but I felt I could not defeat the yen.
When God found out I wished to quit eating unhealthy food,
his answer was quite simple: "Quit it, then."
Nail biting was, for me, a habit I just couldn't break;
(I'd done it since I can't remember when) .
When God found out that I wished to quit chewing on my nails,
the reply I received was, "Quit it, then."
I wanted to become the husband that my wife deserved
but felt the way was well beyond my ken.
When God, though, learned I needed to become a better spouse,
His terse response to me was, "Be one, then."
It bothered me that I wasn't the dad my father was;
a man who was among the best of men.
When God learned that I wanted to spend more time with my kids,
He wasted no time saying, "Spend it, then."
A lot of time's spent praying for things God already knows.
But we seem to forget time and again
the way that God tells us to do the things we need to do
is simply by telling us "Do it, then! "
William Chaplar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Do It Then by William Chaplar )
- Eternal Spirits, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Waiting On God, Tom Zart
- Eunuch, arshad arshad
- Messengers Of The Heart, Tom Zart
- Letting Go, Phil Soar
- bury this six feet under your eyelids, Mandolyn ...
- Alighting From Despair, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Life Is Awakened, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Island Grassland, George Egba
- BEWILDERED, Joseph Ndawula
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Rose that Grew from Concrete, Tupac Shakur
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Udiah (witness to Yah)