Dole Not Coal
Once these men all mined for coal,
But now these men are on the dole.
With rent to pay and mouths to feed,
An anxious life these men now lead.
Spending more time at home indoors,
Leads to boredom and domestic wars.
For these men, life is now lean –
They’ve got no money and no routine.
Mining coal was all that they knew –
What life holds in store, they haven’t a clue.
Now it’s a case of make-do and mend;
The situation, they can’t comprehend.
Each day at work, they had a purpose –
Now they’re redundant and they’re surplus.
Each working day, they’d work together,
Having a laugh and a good old blether.
Once these men all earned a wage,
But now these men are full of rage.
Every day, for jobs they queue,
But there’s only jobs for very few.
They’d arrive back home with blackened faces,
After hours spent in the darkest of places.
Now these men see hours of light,
But now these men are a sorry sight.
Having left their life of dirt and grime,
One or two have turned to crime.
But most are respectable, honest men,
Who miss their jobs and miss their friends.
Now the camaraderie has all but gone,
And these lonely souls just soldier on.
All they can do is wait for the day,
When luck once more will come their way.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Dole Not Coal by Angela Wybrow )
- THE SHRIEK, Satish Verma
- The Terror, David Lewis Paget
- Union - within us, gajanan mishra
- Haiku(GOD), Aftab Alam
- chaos of Christmas near, lee fones
- The earth is moving, gajanan mishra
- ONLY YOU JESUS ONLY YOU, Michael P. Johnson
- GOD! WATCHING, TESTING, Michael P. Johnson
- GOD'S TRUTH STANDING, Michael P. Johnson
- play on words, lee fones
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Racism Haiku - Ice Cream, john tiong chunghoo
- Blah Blah Blank Blank, vincent armone
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)