I’m stood here on the platform;
I’m holding my mother’s hand.
There are things that are going on -
Things that I don’t understand.
Me and all the other kids,
We’re being sent away;
We’re going down to Devon –
Which I know is a long, long way.
I hope that they’ll be really nice -
The folks I’m staying with.
I’m dying to see the countryside,
Where the cows and sheep all live.
We’re all going far away,
To keep us safe from harm;
I’ve never seen a hill or stream,
And I’ve never seen a farm.
Some of the kids are excited,
While others are full of fear.
Some have smiling faces.
While others are crying tears.
‘Mum, are you coming to? ’
I overhear a little girl ask,
As I stand there tightly clutching
My case and my gas mask.
It’s a little like an adventure –
Like an extended holiday.
My mother, she has told me
To be good and really brave.
Just before I board the train,
My mother, she hugs me tight;
As I stare out of the window,
She calls, ‘Don’t forget to write! ’
I see the tear-stained faces,
As the shrill whistle blows;
Exactly where any of us’ll end up,
None of us really knows.
I’ll miss my home and my dog,
And I’ll miss my dad and mum.
Me and all the others can’t wait
until this war is over and done.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Evacuee by Angela Wybrow )
- Loves silent vigil, Erato
- I Miss You., sanjay Pathak
- I am Sorry., sanjay Pathak
- Dunderheaded Love Stories (Adwoa Xanthe), Dexsta Ray
- an unpassionate night, lee fones
- Mobocracy, Aftab Alam
- WHAT IS TO BE A MAN?, Ali Faisal
- NIRVANA, Thor Fabian Pettersen
- Transformation, Aftab Alam
- unrehearsed walk, lee fones
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)