I’m stood here on the platform;
I’m holding my mother’s hand.
There are things that are going on -
Things that I don’t understand.
Me and all the other kids,
We’re being sent away;
We’re going down to Devon –
Which I know is a long, long way.
I hope that they’ll be really nice -
The folks I’m staying with.
I’m dying to see the countryside,
Where the cows and sheep all live.
We’re all going far away,
To keep us safe from harm;
I’ve never seen a hill or stream,
And I’ve never seen a farm.
Some of the kids are excited,
While others are full of fear.
Some have smiling faces.
While others are crying tears.
‘Mum, are you coming to? ’
I overhear a little girl ask,
As I stand there tightly clutching
My case and my gas mask.
It’s a little like an adventure –
Like an extended holiday.
My mother, she has told me
To be good and really brave.
Just before I board the train,
My mother, she hugs me tight;
As I stare out of the window,
She calls, ‘Don’t forget to write! ’
I see the tear-stained faces,
As the shrill whistle blows;
Exactly where any of us’ll end up,
None of us really knows.
I’ll miss my home and my dog,
And I’ll miss my dad and mum.
Me and all the others can’t wait
until this war is over and done.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Evacuee by Angela Wybrow )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Michael P. McParland
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(1886 - 1967)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Goodnight Prayer(For You), Michael P. McParland
- Forgive Me Please, Michael P. McParland
- Concentrate On The Game, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Come Join Me?, Michael P. McParland
- Come Hold Me, Michael P. McParland
- Come Be With Me, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas, Michael P. McParland
- Change And Hope? What A Joke., Michael P. McParland
- Candy, Michael P. McParland
- Can I Belong?, Michael P. McParland