Don't Cry For Me
I was quietly told today
I had not long to live,
To tidy up my affairs
And ask others to forgive.
Now I come to you
With my heart upon my sleeve,
To ask you to be strong
And try not to grieve.
I fought my bravest battle
But could not win the war,
The time is soon to come now
For my broken spirit to soar.
When the Angels come for me
And carry me Home again,
Please don't cry to hard for me
For your tears will be in vain.
Sit down here by my side, my love
Hold gently to my hand,
And listen to my whispered words
For I need you to understand.
That when the time comes
For me to fly away,
Just lean down and kiss me once
And quietly start to pray.
Ask for God up in Heaven
To receive me Unto Him,
And ask Him to Forgive me
For all of my sins.
And then before I go
Promise me you won't cry,
Then kiss me one before I go
Don't sit here and watch me die.
Just smile again and promise
You'll always be strong for me,
And forever keep me close to you
As gently my soul goes free.
And know that somewhere up above
I'll be watching over you,
So that when your time comes
I'll be waiting here for you.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Don't Cry For Me by Kristi Day )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Suicide's Note, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Osho, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Many Third-Classers, Bijay Kant Dubey
- As A Man, I Hate The Fanatic The Most, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Bapu, In Your Memory, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Mirth of William, James Merchant
- -Untitled- (2), Morgan Siegel
- The Short Ballad of Egg Boy, James Merchant
- Logic in Life, Jayatissa Liyanage
- - Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.
- Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.