Don't Cry For Me
I was quietly told today
I had not long to live,
To tidy up my affairs
And ask others to forgive.
Now I come to you
With my heart upon my sleeve,
To ask you to be strong
And try not to grieve.
I fought my bravest battle
But could not win the war,
The time is soon to come now
For my broken spirit to soar.
When the Angels come for me
And carry me Home again,
Please don't cry to hard for me
For your tears will be in vain.
Sit down here by my side, my love
Hold gently to my hand,
And listen to my whispered words
For I need you to understand.
That when the time comes
For me to fly away,
Just lean down and kiss me once
And quietly start to pray.
Ask for God up in Heaven
To receive me Unto Him,
And ask Him to Forgive me
For all of my sins.
And then before I go
Promise me you won't cry,
Then kiss me one before I go
Don't sit here and watch me die.
Just smile again and promise
You'll always be strong for me,
And forever keep me close to you
As gently my soul goes free.
And know that somewhere up above
I'll be watching over you,
So that when your time comes
I'll be waiting here for you.
Kristi Day's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Don't Cry For Me by Kristi Day )
- Epitaph To a Dog, George Gordon Byron
- THE LAST LEAF OF AUTUMN, Philo Yan
- Hidden Me, Elia Michael
- Simple rose, hasmukh amathalal
- black ghettoes, oskar hansen
- Towards Air Which Is So Free, Rohit Sapra
- Midnight Blue, Charles Hancock
- Villanelle: Even childhood teenage nurtu.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Conversation between Two Dead Bodies, Md. Ziaul Haque
- This World is Full of Beauty, Gerald Massey
Poem of the Day
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- " To His Fairest Valentine Mrs. A. L., Richard Lovelace
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)