James Bredin (1933 / Ennis Canada)
DOOMED DEMOCRACY JULY 14TH, 2012
Democracy depends on elections to make it work,
Elections depend on participation - not those who lurk,
Established politicians depend on their party to get there,
Less than half Canadians get involved in this affair.
So something is wrong and we should sit down and figure out,
Maybe mandatory voting would establish some clout,
Maybe voting for senators and High Court judges would help,
But appointees and all Parole Boards might scream and yelp?
And Parole Boards tend to let criminals out of jail,
Maybe murderers, rapists or those who couldn't make bail,
Turning our already soft justice system into junk,
While our so called Charter democracy smells like a skunk.
Poet Other Poems
- A Big Black Hole... May 9th,2013
- A BINGO HALL... DEC 5TH,2013
- A BINGO HALL... FEB 21TH,2014
- A BLUE MOON... NOV 23RD,2012
- A CANADIAN DEMOCRATIC DICTATOR
- A CANADIAN ELECTION... MAY 26TH,2013
- A CANADIAN TEA PARTY
- A CONSTITUTION LIKE THE SWISS... JAN 19T...
- A Forbidden Subject
- A GIRL IN DERRY June 19th,2011
- A Group of Appoıntees
- A HUNDRED THOUSAND CANADIAN REASONS
- A National Referendum... March 1st,2014
- A Need For Binding Rederendums... Mar 20...
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.