Pitch black outside, ten below zero,
Man I am freezing cold;
My age is starting to creep up on me,
and boy am I feeling old.
But as the sky starts to lighten,
once black starts to turn blue;
My heart starts to beat a little faster,
my energy and strength are renewed.
Then I see the ducks in the distance,
take off for their morning flight;
I no longer notice the cold,
as I keep the ducks in my sight.
Slowly I start to call,
I see the ducks look my way;
Their checkin out my decoy spread,
and the safety that is displayed.
They circle once, they circle twice,
Then I see them cup their wings;
They are going to try and land,
oh what happiness this brings.
Ten feet or so from the water,
just before they land;
I bring my shotgun to my shoulder,
and steady it with my hands;
I squeeze the trigger slowly,
and let my steel shot fly;
My aim is true, my shot is perfect,
I watch the ducks fall from the sky.
Dwayne Bailey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Duck Hunting by Dwayne Bailey )
- THEY GOT TIRED, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- MY WAYطريقي, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Genes, jeans!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Ticking Over, Yvonne Rautenbach
- In A Confused World, Edward Kofi Louis
- MY WAY, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- You need someone, hasmukh amathalal
- Organized team, hasmukh amathalal
- I Am Weird and I Am Happy, Rohit Sapra
- Beloved Alice (Square Sonnet I), Rohan Nath