EARLY MORNING RISING
Why this early morning rising? Why this sleepless night?
Could it be a chastising or a lesson with new insight?
How shall I read this moment at hand right here, right now?
Shall I delve deep within my soul or forget myself somehow?
A soft whisper within my heart I hear, a hint of your will
To pray for a someone whose heart only your love can fill.
Someone is crying out in his own wilderness, his pain;
Let this simple prayer be for him a blessing, a gain.
Bless this brother with what he truly needs
Plant within his heart plentiful seeds
That nourishment, water, and sun will sow
his soul to peaceful pallor and grow.
Inspire him to be a blessing to others
That he will pray for his sisters and brothers
As ripples in a stream that widen to river and sea
Spreading over an expanse into eternity
Enveloping everyone, even me.
Lord, God, we Thank and Praise Thee.
Why this early morning rising, this sleepless night?
Lord, thank you for the blessing of insight
of your calling me to stay and pray
so early this day.
Thanks and Praise to Thee.
© Mel Patterson,7-21-09
Carmela Patterson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (EARLY MORNING RISING by Carmela Patterson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Love, Baki Yigit
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies
- Shrouded, Jessica Paige Davies