EARLY MORNING RISING
Why this early morning rising? Why this sleepless night?
Could it be a chastising or a lesson with new insight?
How shall I read this moment at hand right here, right now?
Shall I delve deep within my soul or forget myself somehow?
A soft whisper within my heart I hear, a hint of your will
To pray for a someone whose heart only your love can fill.
Someone is crying out in his own wilderness, his pain;
Let this simple prayer be for him a blessing, a gain.
Bless this brother with what he truly needs
Plant within his heart plentiful seeds
That nourishment, water, and sun will sow
his soul to peaceful pallor and grow.
Inspire him to be a blessing to others
That he will pray for his sisters and brothers
As ripples in a stream that widen to river and sea
Spreading over an expanse into eternity
Enveloping everyone, even me.
Lord, God, we Thank and Praise Thee.
Why this early morning rising, this sleepless night?
Lord, thank you for the blessing of insight
of your calling me to stay and pray
so early this day.
Thanks and Praise to Thee.
© Mel Patterson,7-21-09
Carmela Patterson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (EARLY MORNING RISING by Carmela Patterson )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(22 March 1941 -)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- [®XLIX~]Watch Super Bowl 2015 (49) Live.., Renz Barns
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- from..., Morgan Michaels
- Ebony Sadness Of Grief, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Comes only once, hasmukh amathalal
- Giving Entire Being, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poetry Of This Night, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poetry Is Scrapbooking, Dexsta Ray
- Avoid The Android, Erhard Hans Josef Lang
- So To Differentiate (False Humility), Dexsta Ray
- Sincere Effort, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- LA PREMIÈRE FOIS, Rosie Bourget