My house faced an estuary.
I looked for where ocean tide
instructed river flow.
I was more river, pliant
to the sea, and did no roving.
Supple as current, and as reckless, I was
a loose believer.
My face, an estuary.
My river-mouth. Ocean-eyed.
Mornings were a drowned city. Gulls
fell from the fog, their voices
trailing chords of hunger.
They say absence culls the wayward,
that the derelict leaf
soon ashes and is air.
I heard it said. And, sensing my own
diminishment, know it.
Color of water—
not blue, not clarity.
Heard the loon
or caution: The darkest
pools of water
form the sky's silhouette.
I was not good. The house sank,
the soggy bank would not hold.
A spirit rocking like a boat
took me to this between place.
Took me for goodness—
I mistook. No, misspoke.
The poverty grass
flowering in the dunes. True, what is
is also vital. When I swim to the estuary,
I will not know where I am.
I chased the breakers, their compass of come
and come again.
the bay mothered the cove, and both
are outlet and inlet: Let down,
Where the swallowed voice
becomes the choking voice.
In the estuary,
I saw a face of silent answer.
Jennifer Chang's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Estuary by Jennifer Chang )
- Trust None, Even Me!, Sir Toby
- More Deliberately Taken, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Ah, money!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- We shall overcome someday, Vidura Prabhath
- Jadavpur University Campus And The Lefti.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Excellence, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Chains, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- New Dawn, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- The Stolen Ancient Landmark, Sir Toby
- The Book O' Life, Sir Toby
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)