ivor or ivor.e hogg
This stately home is haunted by
The ghosts of those who spent
Most of their lives here in days gone bye.
Though seldom seen they still come here
and sometimes make their presence felt.
Although they don’t inspire fear.
You sometimes smell a faint perfume
Or hear a sound that should not be.
Although are alone in the room.
Though only if you’re sensitive
and you have an open mind
Believing spirits do survive
Death only means they’ve travelled on
To a different form of being.
But can return to look upon
Familiar scenes they used to know
Whilst they were still in human form
They are quite free to come and go
A feeling of serenity.
Convinces me my words are true.
Though you are free to disagree.
This stately home was occupied
by one family for centuries.
But when the very last one died.
He left it to the National trust.
Who have maintained it ever since
The ghost don’t care they can adjust.
If you should visit you may find
A welcome waiting for you here.
The family ghosts are very kind.
ivor or ivor.e hogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Family Ghosts by ivor or ivor.e hogg )
- Rescue the Poor Eves!, Dr John Celes
- Extend hand at once, hasmukh amathalal
- Memory, Benhardi Dicka
- Canoeing, Doyen Lingua
- Like child, hasmukh amathalal
- Her Saturday Ritual, Arno Le Roux
- Loving Across Seasons, Arno Le Roux
- I wish to be earthen lamp, Aftab Alam
- The Business Of Life, Arno Le Roux
- Adaptation, maria sudibyo
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Bright Star, John Keats
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)