Frank V. Gardner
Father I Hardly Knew
My father, who I hardly knew,
Was never one to shirk.
He died in nineteen twenty four,
While helping friends at work.
He came from Colorado,
Where the men were taught to ride.
He joined the Army Engineers,
And did the job with pride.
At first, he went to Texas,
Where he joined a border fight,
Controlling Pancho Villa;
And the Army did it right.
When more important war developed,
Far across the sea,
He went to France in World War One
To battle Germany.
When peace was won, he married young,
And started family.
But long and healthy life for him
Just wasn't meant to be.
A good mechanic, then, he was;
'Sixteenth and L, ' his base.
'A place for everything, ' he'd say,
'And everything in place.'
While helping string a high antenna,
From the shop, outside,
A rotted window sill gave way.
That's how he died.
(Mother told her three children about their father as they grew up.
I wrote this poem about him in Falls Church, Virginia, during October 1985.)
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Father I Hardly Knew by Frank V. Gardner )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mir Taqi Mir
(1723 - 1810)
(1924 - 2000)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Touch Downs, Saiom Shriver
- Bethlehem, Saiom Shriver
- Beloved Brand, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- The Shadow, Benjamin Michael Clark
- Under The Moonlit Nights, I See You, See.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- have you seen my hand?, Mandolyn ...
- My Inspiration Are You, The Day I Saw You, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Azar, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ohio State, Saiom Shriver
- crowding around the crumbs you leave, Mandolyn ...