For March, White and Red
By the first day of March,
The beautiful Lady Spring has come.
Trying to touch a frozen snowdrop bud
she pricked he finger in a blackthorn bush
smartly hidden in snow.
As the drop of blood fell
the snowdrop revived!
Cold winter, defeated, than,
for three following seasons
into a deep sleep would be sent.
From ancient times, March is celebrated
as 'Luna lui Martisor'
(the Month of martisor)
Symbol of hope
renewal and rebirth, Lady Spring
Beautiful month, the third
in Romania, my dear native land
is to bring the martisor ~a little trinket
and a few snowdrops
offered to the women and girls
who would wear them like a charm of
Good luck, peace and happiness for
each to be strong healthy and clean
as the snowdrops in spring.
*Martisor - small-gem, trinket, or coin caught in a twisted wool or silk red and white cord.
Elena Sandu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (For March, White and Red by Elena Sandu )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- ziel, co the skipper
- What You Given Me, Lilly Emery
- Just Open Your Eyes, Ronell Warren Alman
- Margarita, Margarita Kamal
- sometimes dead is better, Mandolyn Davidson
- it's a good thing we never were, Mandolyn Davidson
- Great And Noble Nations, David Harris
- i'm aging. it's in the script., Mandolyn Davidson
- tripping the alarm on a nightmare, Mandolyn Davidson
- Letters To Myself, Margarita Kamal