For March, White and Red
By the first day of March,
The beautiful Lady Spring has come.
Trying to touch a frozen snowdrop bud
she pricked he finger in a blackthorn bush
smartly hidden in snow.
As the drop of blood fell
the snowdrop revived!
Cold winter, defeated, than,
for three following seasons
into a deep sleep would be sent.
From ancient times, March is celebrated
as 'Luna lui Martisor'
(the Month of martisor)
Symbol of hope
renewal and rebirth, Lady Spring
Beautiful month, the third
in Romania, my dear native land
is to bring the martisor ~a little trinket
and a few snowdrops
offered to the women and girls
who would wear them like a charm of
Good luck, peace and happiness for
each to be strong healthy and clean
as the snowdrops in spring.
*Martisor - small-gem, trinket, or coin caught in a twisted wool or silk red and white cord.
Elena Sandu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (For March, White and Red by Elena Sandu )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- World Of Music, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Creating A Christmas Tree, Doris Beaulieu
- love it up like yeah?, Mandolyn ...
- What not to be done while a person is ly.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- buzz off bees, lee fones
- Uncle Ikey's Last Words No.39, Robert Graber
- Happy Birthday Dear Mum, Adewale Ajakanri
- The Blood is the Key, Matthew Buck
- Olwakho uthando, Phiwe Mbatha
- I rish this couldn't say it's R's, Mandolyn ...