Fortune Cookie Fortunes
YOU will uproot and move
and there will be nothing.
Nothing is at the root of it and therefore
there is nothing.
Therefore it is said, ''nothing becomes nothing
Nothing given, nothing taken.
You will take your time
and nothing will happen.
It happens, my friend, and
there is nothing you can do.
In time, you will mean nothing to
you or your friends.
Your friends have nothing to lose
but your time.
Win nothing, lose nothing.
Lose nothing, lose more friends.
You will look but you will
find more nothing.
Look, nothing more can be said at this time.
More time. More nothing.
Elizabeth Swados's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fortune Cookie Fortunes by Elizabeth Swados )
- SHADES OF LOVE, sherif monem
- A Shoulder to Weep, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Help me I am here, Dustin Hardin
- Into your kingdom, hasmukh amathalal
- High rise, hasmukh amathalal
- Before Death, Ajaeyy Raaj
- the toothless Tiger Dynasties, veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- The Spray, Akhtar Jawad
- Think and breathe, hasmukh amathalal
- Love for care, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(22 March 1941 -)